Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Waaay too Early for Halloween!

Oh, well! I just can't wait! I wanted to show a few Halloween projects that I have been working on. Both projects were inspired by other bloggers.



I bought a grapevine wreath not too long ago with the intent of creating a Fall wreath for our back door. I never could decide how to start and what I wanted to put on it, so I changed directions. Drew and I have been checking out all of the new Halloween decor as I drag the boys around Home Goods or Target or Michaels or...well, you get the idea. I drag my children through a lot of stores that they have no interest in!



Anyway, I had been buying up some orange and black ribbon from the dollar ribbon bin at Michael's and it hit me one day that I could tie ribbons onto my wreath kind of like how the Nester and her Ragamuffin Garland.

I could make a ragamuffin wreath! I thought I was so original and creative until I went to Etsy and searched "ribbon wreath" and came up with a hundred or so examples of what I had done. Oh, well. I still like it and I think it may get to grace the front door come October! By the way, the wreath was from Wal-Mart for about $3 and the ribbon was stuff I had or from the dollar ribbon bin - in all I think this project cost about $10.



I made this after Joy at Joys of Home encouraged her readers to use some other Wal-Mart craft finds. I used 3 round, unfinished wood plaques and bought 3 letters to spell out BOO!



I decopaged some scrapbook paper, roughed up the edges with sandpaper and used a black ink pad to distress the edges. Then I painted the letters orange, sanded them, and used the ink pad again to make them look old and spooky and attached them to the plaques. That's it. Took about 30 minutes total, but 20 of that was drying time. This little project was about $6.




I've never decorated much for Fall, just Halloween, but I have a few really good ideas from some of my favorite blogs. I'll share some pictures if I can get motivated!

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Lesley said...

I just love your ideas! Keep blogging about them so I can learn and try!!!

Marie said...

I love them both! The wreath is adorable. You used the perfect ribbon. Apparently you have quite the crafting section in your Walmart! I have about 2 aisles...very short aisles in my local Walmart. And it's mostly school supplies! Love the paper you used for the BOO... I have it too! :o)

Katherine said...

Too cute! You still haven't lost that creative touch. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love both those projects! I really like what you did with the wreath - it's so pretty!

Manuela

Misty Bourne said...

What did you use to mount the three wood plaques on? Is it a ribbon?

These are great! :)

Stephanie said...

Hi MJ! I used the thick black wrapping-type ribbon (really cheap stuff - not fabric)and used my staple gun to attach it to the back. I attached a picture hanger to the "B" plaque too. Thanks so much for visiting!

cyndi said...

Okay I am so making the BOO it is super cute

suzspeaks said...

I just found your site from tipjunkie! I love this!! I have a question...what kind of adhesive did you use to attach the letters to the wood? Thank you in advance!!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I love this!! So cute...

Beth said...

I love the BOO!! Too cute!
Found you on Tip Junkie!